CATHOLIC WEDDINGS AT SAINT PETER AND PAUL CATHEDRAL
Thank you for choosing Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in Saint Thomas, USVI for your wedding ceremony. The following is a list of concerns on our part that you must attend to before we can witness your marriage:
1. You are to begin the process six (6) months prior to your wedding date.
2. Our regulations are the same as your home diocese. This means that whatever pre-marriage process your diocese has (contact your parish priest), we will accept it here. As such we request that your parish priest forward your completed marriage documents to the Chancellor of The Diocese of St. Thomas, P.O. Box 301825, Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, 00803-1825
3. You must submit your witness forms (freedom to marry forms) filled out by two separate witnesses along with other required documents. The bride must have two witnesses and the groom must also present two witnesses.
4. If any dispensation is required, secure it prior to sending your documents to us (ask your priest. He will know what it means).
5. Your local parish’s Prenuptial Questionnaire for marriage and any other papers, such as baptism certificate, (complete mailing address of baptism church must be sent also) and dispensation must be sent to us along with a letter of recommendation and permission to be married outside of your parish, from your local pastor.
6. You must acquire a marriage license, ahead of time from the VI Superior Court located in the Alexander Justice Complex on the waterfront, which is West of the Federal Building and East of the Fort Christian parking Lot. The contact number is (340) 774-6688.
To apply for a marriage license, do the following:
Both applicants must come into the Family Division of the Superior Court in the judicial district in which they desire to be married. If any of the applicants were previously married, he or she must bring with them a certified copy of their Divorce Decree. If either applicant is a widow or widower, he or she must bring a certified copy of their spouse' Death Certificate. There is Fifty Dollars ($50.00) non-refundable application fee which must be paid with the filing of the Marriage Application. There is a nonrefundable Fifty Dollar ($50.00) application fee, which must be paid when the marriage license is picked up after the eight (8) day period for posting in accordance with 16 V.I. Code Ann. § 37.
For parties who reside off-island and are requesting information to get married in the Virgin Islands, please note that upon calling the Family Division, the clerk will obtain pertinent contact information from you. A Marriage Information Fact, an Application for Marriage License and a License and Certificate of Marriage will be forwarded to you. Applicants arriving from off island should attach a letter with the application detailing the date of their visit, the length of their stay; the date of preference if desirous of having the marriage performed by a judge. Please note that there is an eight (8) day period of posting of marriage applications, except where previously granted an exemption by the Court. If you need to fill out the application form online go to: www.visuperiorcourt.org/forms/forms.aspx
Our Church fee is $1000.00 and must be paid in advance. We are happy to provide a local referral listing. Fees are to be negotiated between the parties directly. Ideally, the Sacrament of Matrimony should be celebrated with the local worshipping community. It is a public Sacrament. However, if for some reason you do not want to follow that way of celebration of marriage, we will be happy to help you, provided all is in order. In the past, many couples have made initial contact by telephone, setting up date and time with us and then never carried the process further. Therefore, we ask that you respond to this announcement, in writing within thirty (30) days confirming that the wedding ceremony will be at our Church, as set up with us. Please note that weddings are celebrated on Mondays through Saturdays only. I hope all of the above is clear to you but if you have any questions, please contact us AT (340)-774-0201 OR BY FAX AT (340)-776-9586
For any question, please contact our office: (340) 774-0201 Ext. 11
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission.